03 August 2009

Painting in Miniature

                                               
Let me quote the Miniature Art Society of Florida: "Miniature art is fine art. Miniature art is most often extremely detailed work, exquisite in color with a strength of composition which can more than compete with larger paintings. A compositional guide requires a gentle, no more than 1/6th scale of the actual subject. 

A miniature usually takes as long or longer to produce as a large piece of art. A fine miniature can be magnified many times and it will still hold together as a fine work of art of much greater size. This unique art form, based on a minute scale, traces its roots back to the book paintings and illuminated manuscripts of the 7th century."

I prefer to paint on copper, due to it's smooth surface and midtone color. Although most miniatures rely on a white support to reflect light through the thin layers of paint, I proceed as if I am painting one of my large canvases. Thus I am painting a true miniature of MY art.

To begin, I start with a square or rectangle of copper (copper roof flashing works wonderfully). I polish the surface, then spray it with a matte fixative. It allows the color of the copper to show, but dulls the surface to allow the paint to stick. It also protects the copper from oxidation. 

                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome... Learning is a way of life.